Apostolic Orthodox Church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord at Häädemeeste
80% of people in Häädemeeste converted from the Lutheran faith to Orthodoxy in the 1840s in the hope that they would gain some land for adopting the religion of their ruler, the Emperor of Russia. This invitation was given to people all over Estonia. The first Orthodox congregation in the area, Häädemeeste, was created in 1849 and the church was built in 1872. The brick building was plastered and its highest point is the tower with an onion dome above the western entrance. The stucco decor above the windows of the church is the feature that makes it memorable. The three-storey iconostasis in eclectic style is the most remarkable feature of the rich decor inside the church.
Features and amenities
Sealed access road
By excursion bus
By public transport